- A terminal branch of brachial plexus, derived from its posterior cord (C5-6).
- It travels through the quadrangular space together with the posterior circumflex artery and vein.
- Motor and sensory fibers which innervate important muscles of the upper limb and parts of the skin within the axillary region.
- Innervates glenohumeral joint, and due to their close spatial relation, the nerve is often injured whenever the joint is injured.
- The injuries of the axillary nerve lead to decreasing or complete loss of function within the structures that it innervates.