- Likely causes Staph aureus, H influenzae, Strep pneumoniae, Moraxella. viruses
- Chloramphenicol 0.5% eye drops Treat for 48 hours after symptoms have resolved (maximum for 5 days)
- If herpetic conjunctivitis is suspected refer immediately to the Ophthalmologist.
Keratitis (associated with contact lens use)
- Likely causes: Ps aeruginosa, Staph aureus, Acanthamoeba others
- Seek Ophthalmology advice
- Likely causes: Strep millerii, Staph aureus, H influenzae, Strep pneumoniae others
- Co-Amoxiclav 1.2g tds IV
- Penicillin allergic: discuss with Consultant Microbiologist
- A CT scan of the sinuses is essential and refer to ENT for further management.