Fever may not be present in some patients, such as those who are very young, elderly, immunosuppressed, or taking certain medications.
- Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS)
- It was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012
- Direct contact with camels is an important risk factor
- MERS-CoV is a viral respiratory disease.
- It is a new strain of coronavirus
- Incubation period 14 days
- Fever and cough that progress to a severe pneumonia
- Causes shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
- Diarrheal illness has been the first symptom to appear.
- U&E: AKI
- ABG: respiratory failure
- PCR of upper/lower respiratory secretion
- Avoid contact with camels
- Do not drink raw camel milk or raw camel urine
- Do not eat undercooked meat, particularly camel meat
- ABCDE and ITU/HDU as needed. Supportive.
- Assessment, triage and isolate in private area or remain at home if ill
- There is no vaccine available for MERS-CoV.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare personnel
- Source control measures for patients (put facemask on suspect patients)
- Requirements for performing aerosol generating procedures ?