In astigmatism, the front surface of the cornea is curved more in one direction than in another.
- Irregularities in the radius of curvature of the cornea.
- Variation in normal eye structure
- Acquired e.g. trauma
- Blurry vision and difficulty seeing fine detail.
- Like looking into a distorted, wavy mirror.
- Regular astigmatism can be corrected with spectacle lenses/rigid contact lenses,
- Irregular astigmatism requires rigid contact lenses
- Some can also benefit from laser ablation of the cornea