It has a high incidence of anticholinergic and cardiac side-effects and is toxic in overdose
- Used in Depression and for Neuropathic pain
- Sedating tricyclic antidepressant
Mode of action
- Increased levels of NA,5HT, antimuscarinic effects
- It may be given as a single dose at night, particularly if insomnia is a problem.
- Neuropathic pain/ migraine prevention: Amitriptyline 10-75 mg ON, titrate dose up under specialist.
- For depression (specialist only): Amitriptyline 30-75 mg ON.
Dose range:You must check with BNF or drug datasheet
| Amitriptyline||10 mg - 75 mg||ON||PO|
- Avoid with glaucoma, epilepsy, phaeochromocytoma or cardiac disease.
- Toxic in overdose. Always come off antidepressants gradually. Sedation, arrhythmias,?BP, confusion
- Dry mouth, urinary retention, weight gain, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, long QT. Avoid if MAOI uses in past 2 weeks.