Inheritance of these mutations leads to an increased risk of developing a malignancy, not the certainty of developing a malignancy.
- An estimated 5-10% of breast cancers are inherited.
- Autosomal dominant inheritance is the main means of inheritance
- These genes are involved in DNA repair
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations are two such genes.
- Both are at high risk of breast and ovarian cancer
- BRCA1 is also associated with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer
- BRCA2 is associated with pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer and melanoma.
- Some have bilateral mastectomy and oophorectomy