Pivmecillinam is an oral antibiotic with excellent clinical efficacy in the treatment of uncomplicated UTIs
- Check BNF or equivalent for UpToDate prescribing advice
- Pivmecillinam is an oral antibiotic
- Activity against ESBL producing organisms.
Mode of action
- It is a 6-aminopenicillins acid derivative
- Pivmecillinam hydrochloride is the pro-drug of mecillinam that is hydrolysed in the body to mecillinam, the active antibacterial agent
- Highly concentrated in urine.
- Well tolerated and can be used in impaired renal function
- Acute uncomplicated cystitis: Pivmecillinam 400 mg for 1 dose, then Pivmecillinam 200 mg TDS to a total of 10 tablets.
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection: Pivmecillinam 400mg initial dose, then 200mg TDS for 7 days
Dose range:You must check with BNF or drug datasheet
|Pivmecillinam||400 mg stat and then 200 mg ||TDS||3 days for UTI |
- Vulvovaginal fungal infection
- False positive urinary glucose (if tested for reducing substances).