Stomatitis is inflammation of the mouth. Cheilitis is inflammation of the lip. Angular stomatitis in the painful 'split' at the corner of the mouth 'labial commissure'
- Commonly seen in edentulous elderly
- Can be secondary candidal infection
- Elderly - poorly fitting dentures
- B12/6 or Folate or Iron deficiency
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis
- Fissuring of the skin and even ulceration at the corners of the mouth
- Often painful with evident redness and symptoms
- Oral cancer if persisting, atypical symptoms
- FBC, ESR, B12, Folate, Ferritin for Megaloblastic anaemia (B12/folate deficiency)
- Assessment for new dentures and wearing them will possibly help.
- Vioform-Hydrocortisone cream (Hydrocortisone 1%, clioquinol 3%) will reduce inflammation and treat staphylococcal or Candida infection.