There is a difference in the meaning of dermoid cyst between different specialities
- Slow-growing tumours or teratoma which can occur in various settings
- Usually thick dermis with sebaceous glands derived from the ectoderm.
- May contain hair, fluid, teeth, or skin glands that can be found on or in the skin.
- Usually considered as congenital
- Can exist in any cavity and on the skin causing localised pressure
- Usyally benign but may be carcinomatous transformation
- Found on face
- Fond in abdomen, pelvis e.g. ovarian teratoma/dermoid - rupture, torsion, size
- Found in skull base
- MRI head
- CT Abdomen and pelvis etc.
- Prognosis is good with good early local resection
- Laparotomy for ovarian lesion
- Craniectomy for intracranial lesion etc.
- Simple excision of skin lesion dermoid