|Herpes Varicella-Zoster (Shingles) Infection
|Chickenpox Varicella Infection
|Varicella Cerebral Vasculopathy
|Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus (HZO) Shingles
|Rubella (German Measles)
|Epstein-Barr Virus infection
- Monkeypox is a rare infection that's mainly spread by wild animals in parts of west or central Africa. The risk of catching it in the UK is low.
- Enveloped double-stranded DNA Monkeypox virus (MPXV)
Other viruses in its Orthopoxvirus genus include Vaccinia, Cowpox and Variola viruses
- First discovered in 1958 when outbreaks of a pox-like disease occurred in monkeys kept for research. First Human case 1970s
- Monkeypox can be caught from infected wild animals in parts of west and central Africa. It's thought to be spread by rodents, such as rats, mice and squirrels.
- Infected animal: Bite, touch its blood, body fluids, spots, blisters or scabs, eat the animal that has not been cooked thoroughly
- Humans: Close contact (sexual) Touching clothing, bedding or towels used by someone with the monkeypox rash touching monkeypox skin blisters or scabs
the coughs or sneezes of a person with the monkeypox rash
- Symptoms begin with fever, headache, muscle pains, swollen lymph nodes, and feeling tired.
- 1-3 days post fever the rash appears (face?trunk?hands & feet and mucous membranes)
- This is followed by a rash that forms blisters and crusts over
- Chickenpox (varicella), Measles
- Herpes Simplex (HSV), Bacterial skin infections
- Scabies, Syphilis, Medication associated Rxn
- Discuss with ID and Labs. Take advice on Ix for Varicella, HSV and Early Syphilis
A swab of the lesion fluid should be transported in viral transport medium.
- Inform the lab. of and label all samples as "probable MPX"
Alert ID/Public Health to consider contact tracing
- Contact, droplet and airborne precautions
PPE with FFP2/3 mask, eye protection, disposable nitrile gloves, long-sleeved gown
- Supportive care (there is no specific vaccine or treatment available for MPX)
- If indicated, consider prevention / treatment of 2° bacterial infections. Consider empiric treatment of HSV or early syphilis while awaiting test results. Admit under ID and let them consider small pox vaccination and Inform Public Health
- Smallpox vaccine, cidofovir, ST-246, and vaccinia immune globulin (VIG) can be used to control a monkeypox outbreak
- Cidofovir and Brincidofovir have proven activity against poxviruses in in vitro and animal studies.